Expert Guide on How to Plant Onions at Home
In gardening, onions are the best crop to start off when you’re new to this field. Not only is it easy to grow, it’s also useful to your everyday life. There are a lot of ways to grow onions at home depending on the space that you have and the place you’ll plant.
In this guide, we will teach you how to plant onions at home. There are a lot of onion varieties for you to choose from so choose the one what’s best for you. As a gardener, you have the choice on how you will grow your crop and where you’ll place it.
For starters, we suggest that you plant your onions in a small area first. This is to give you a general idea of how onions grow and how to harvest them. Just follow this guide and you’ll be growing onions in your garden in no time. Read on to learn more about onions and how to grow them.
Things to Consider Before Planting
Like any other crop, there are a lot of things that you need to consider before planting onions. This includes the method of planting, planting season, and planting area. These factors are your main concern when you want to start gardening at home.
In planting method, there are 2 main ways of planting onions that you need to consider. And these are planting by bulb and planting by seeds. Depending on the planting method that you’ll choose, you’ll have to follow the proper steps. Be cautious of this because this will determine the growth of your onions.
Next is the planting season, onions have a long planting and harvesting season. You’ll have no problem here but make sure that you plant and harvest during summer and spring season. And finally, the planting area should be proportional to the number of onions that you plant.
Importance of Location in Planting Onions
Location plays a very big role in planting onions. This is because your location will determine the growth. And the number of onions that you'll plant. If you want to start planting onions, you better start planting in a small area. Choose a location that has enough sunlight and water.
If you don't have enough space, you can always plant your onion in a pot. Find a rectangular pot that could fit your onions. Planting it in a pot will give you an advantage on location. This is because you can move the pot to a better location if you desire.
Finally, having a good location for your onions will make harvesting easier. Planting it in close proximity to your home will make it easier for you to harvest it. And not only that, you can also keep an eye out of your crop if ever it needs some nourishment.
Everything You Need to Know about Onions
Expert Guide on How to Plant Onions at Home
Now that you have an idea of how planting onions work. It’s time to know how to plant onions at home the right way. In this guide, we will teach you 3 simple ways on how you can plant onions. Follow this guide properly so that you’ll have no problem growing it. Read on to learn more.
#1 - Planting Onions by Seeding
The first planting method on our list is planting onions by using its seeds. Onion seeds are easy to grow but it takes a lot of time to harvest. This method of growing onions needs a good space in your garden for it to grow properly. But if you don’t have a large space you can always grow it in a large pot.
What You’ll Need
- The first thing that you need to do is to prepare the soil where you will plant the seeds. But before you do anything else, put on your gardening gloves first for safety. Now, use the rake to remove the rocks and weeds from the area so that the onion will grow properly. Make sure that you remove the weeds from the soil.
- Next is to use the hand shovel to dig up holes in the soil. This is where you’ll put the onion seeds so make sure that the hole is just enough for the seeds to fit. For best results, make a row of onions so that when harvest season comes it’s not difficult for you to harvest them.
- Finally, after planting the seeds in the hole, cover it up with the soil. After covering it, proceed to water it gently that the seeds wouldn’t drown. After a month, you’ll notice green shoots of leaves that will sprout from the ground. This indicates that you are successful in growing onions from your garden.
#2 - Planting Onions by Bulbs or Onion Set
One of the fastest ways of growing onions is by planting it by bulbs. This method involves planting an onion bulb directly on the soil. This makes planting and harvesting faster than your average seeds. You can do this method if you’re new to gardening. All you need to do is to prepare a proper location for your plant.
What you’ll need
- The first thing that you need to do in this method is to prepare the area for planting. Put on your gardening gloves and start removing rocks and weeds from the soil. Use the rake for faster results and don’t forget to make a row for your onion buds. Prepare it like it’s a raised bed for better results.
- Next is to dig a shallow hole just enough for the bulbs to fit right in. You don’t need to dig deep because the bulbs will sprout leaves in just a few weeks. Use your hand shovel to dig up the hole. Make a row of holes for your onion buds so that harvesting will not be an issue.
- Finally, cover the bulbs with soil and proceed to water it gently. Be careful not to over water the bulbs because it might loosen the soil. When the soil is loose it might cause the bulbs to misalign and it will not grow properly. After a few weeks, you will notice that small leaves will begin to grow on the onion bulbs.
#3 - A Mix of Onion Set and Seeds
This unorthodox method of planting onions is a popular trend for most farmers. There are a lot of advantages that you can get by planting onions in mix style. One advantage that you can get is that you could grow and harvest onions almost any season. This method might be new but it’s effective for most farmers and gardeners.
What You'll Need
- Just like the first two methods, all you need to do is to prepare the soil by clearing it of any debris. Put on your gardening gloves and begin to rake the area. Clean it free from weeds and stones so that your onion will grow properly.
- The next step is to layer the soil so that the bulbs and the seeds will be separated. After separating them, dig small holes to put your seeds and bulbs. Make it so that the bulbs are grouped together as well as the seeds.
- Finally, water the seeds and bulbs. Wait for them to mature and grow before you completely harvest them. This way you can grow onions all year round.
Growing onions is easy. You don’t need complicated equipment to grow them or to harvest them. Just follow these simple methods and you can grow your own onions at home.
We hope that you enjoyed our little tutorial on how to grow onions. Please share the article with your friends and thank you for reading.